I thought what could I make to be Christmas presents and decided on tea towels. Yes I am making tea towels as part of my Christmas gifts to family. I have made some and need to finish off quite a lot to be ready for next week. I really have my work cut out for me.
So how do you make a tea towel. Well you need to do the following:
- Pick material that is 100% cotton. I chose thicker cotton material that will wear well as a tea towel.
- What size will you make them? Will they be larger or the average size for a tea towel?
- If you have a favourite tea towel why not measure the size of that and base the pattern on this size. This way you will be happy with the size and also the fabric as well.
- Make sure to have the right colour cotton thread to match as this makes it look better and not to see all the seams is nice. However if you are clever you can make a nice decoration with an alternate colour thread. It is up to you and depends on the look you are going for.
- I purchased 3 metres of each fabric and that has given us 10 tea towels of each type. You might get more depending on the size you make them.
TIP: To get a neat edge, fold over a little edge all round and iron. Then fold over again. This way when you sew it all round you will not see the bits left or any part that might fray. As it is cotton material there is a tendency to fray. If it is folded over and sewn in then this will not happen. Also it looks like a better professional finish
So a tea towel is just a piece of material that is neatly sewn all around. You can make them fancy by adding patches, fabric stamping and the like. If you have a tag to add you can add that as well so everyone knows you made it.
I am now thinking of making more and getting more creative with them. They are fun and easy to produce. Maybe I could be the tea towel queen if I ever get really good at it. Look out I might be at your local markets soon with a supply of home made tea towels.
So now I need to get serious and get onto to finishing my batch that I need for Christmas. I have also been cleaning the house, entertaining kids and now they are on holidays! Lets hope that my plans go well. They of course have not had a great start today as I have not stopped sneezing and feel like I am very sick currently.
I need to power on and make more tea towels as hubby would not be pleased with me if he came to find all material not created into towels for the kitchen. So in the next days until Christmas I will be busy working away in my hidden workshop, otherwise known as the dining room (I don’t have a dedicated room for sewing or craft) working away to complete the job.
What have you made or are making for Christmas presents? Send in your comments.