I recently turned 50 and wondered if should I share this news. I was worried as the world is ageist on so many levels. Sad but true.
I don’t feel old
I don’t think I look old
However with some people once they learn that you are indeed a little older than them their whole perception of things and you change. I have noticed it. Sometimes this doesn’t happen, but many times it does.
I thought why not just embrace it?
Maybe it is the newfound freedom of being older. Maybe I just want to be my authentic self and that is hard if I am not being honest.
However, in the forever youthful online world being older is seen as a negative. You see so many people looking energetic and of course young!
I have seen many celebrities celebrate their own 50th birthday with style and of course fanfare and these have been met with thousands of positive comments. Gwyneth Paltrow recently turned 50 and has embraced the new age. Check out her gold birthday suit Instagram post, not sure I would look this good in my birthday suit. Jennifer Garner turned 50 last year and she looks amazing and not 50, Jennifer has embraced being 50 and if you see her Instagram feed she is super fit and has so much energy of a person much younger. (I need to pick my game up with my fitness, not sure I could ever jump as high as Jennifer can).
Yes, the phrase “50 is the new 40” is often used to highlight that 50 isn’t the end. People in their 50s today are more active, healthier, and have a more youthful outlook compared to previous generations at the same age. Currently, there is a belief that 50 is indeed the new 30…I do like that idea.
What are your thoughts? Do you think that 50 is the new 30?
As I approached my 50th birthday, I reflected on my life, decisions, and aspirations. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Future goals and dreams: I am finding that I am analysing what I would like to do more and more. What brings me joy? What is something that fulfills me? How to use my time to allow me to achieve my goals and dreams? I’m currently making a plan to work towards my dreams and do more things that really make me happy.
- Accomplishments and experiences: I am proud of the following; my three kids, attaining my degrees and doing well at university, having a house, that I have a job, and the fact that I never give up on my dreams. My experiences good and bad have shaped me and made me the person I am, I can sense a bad situation easily and know what might happen from learned experiences. Due to this instinct, I feel that I plan well and make good decisions for myself and my family. I have learned to trust my gut and to go on the feeling, when I haven’t in the past it has been horrible, so now I trust my gut.
- Health and well-being: Lately I have been thinking about my health; I want to step up exercise and make sure that I eat well. More walking, going to the pool and just being active is needed.
- Relationships: I had a great friend group when younger and have been thinking that I need to work on making more friends, over the years I have lost friends due to working and others moving away. Some of my good friends are not local, some have unfortunately died and I miss them every day.
I have been thinking of ways to allow me to meet new people to widen my circle of people. A few ways to do this is to join some groups or do courses (now need to find them and have time to allow this to happen).
- Work and career: I did think that I would be in a different place in my career at 50 years old. I believe that having time out due to kids has impacted my career path. My plan is to grow my digital businesses, write the books I have been slowly working on, and also be in a supportive work environment for the day job that hopefully allows me to grow and learn. I want to focus on work that lets me help grow the business, allows me to have fun, and also learn and grow professionally. One HUGE aspect of all my work going forward is all work needs to be flexible and family-friendly. I don’t want to be somewhere where I have to fight to just have to drop off and pick up kids from school, I want to be in an environment that is supportive and sees the outcome of the work not the hours at your desk.
- Bucket list: I want to create a list of things I really want to do, places to see, places to travel to, and fun exciting adventures. I just need now to work on plans to make it all happen. I am lusting over travel to faraway places, Spain, Italy, Fiji, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Dubai, and many other places.
- Embracing change: I love doing different things and change is a part of it. I like to learn new things, travel and just have something different to do. I think part of life is reinvention and you need to embrace the art of reinvention; looking at how to be a new improved version of yourself. I would love to be brave and get a new stylish haircut and then maybe hire a styling coach to assist in updating my wardrobe.
Have you recently turned an age where you are thinking about life, decisions, and the direction of your life? It doesn’t have to be a 50th, it could be 30 or 40… let me know.
Sign up for my newsletter
Stay current with all the things that are happening on Mummy to Twins Plus One. Don’t miss a thing by signing up for my newsletter. This newsletter will list all giveaways and fabulous things that are happening.
This post has affiliate links