I like to have a few meals a week that are just vegetable-based, some with fish and others with meat (yes I am sorry I am a meat-eater, however, I don’t have it all the time)
Today is World Vegan Day and there are many benefits for changing your diet to be more plant-based. Click on the images to be taken to the recipe on Flannerys website.
Some benefits of a plant-based diet:
- Lowers risk of heart disease and cardiovascular disease
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Helps improve blood sugar/control it
- People with a plant-based diet tend to have a lower body mass index/can help with weight loss
- Increasing your intake of fruit, vegetables, grains, and seeds can help to lower your risk of cancer.
- Reduce your intake of saturated fats and allow you to eat good fats.
- Also, you can choose from fresh and local produce that will cut back on transport and support local businesses.
Maddie Bingham’s top vegan summer BBQ food swaps:
- Replicating fish with banana blossom
- Swap pulled pork for jackfruit
- King oyster mushrooms instead of scallops
- Tofu with nori on one side for a fish fillet
- Make your own ‘burgers’ or ‘sausages’ with mushrooms, walnuts, herbs, spices, and liquid.
Maddie also recommends the below:
“For home-made vegan sausages, burgers or patties, I blend mushrooms and walnuts to make a base and add in heaps of herbs, spices and a bit of water and vegetable stock to make it a mushier so you can bind it or roll it into sausages or patties.
“You can also replicate pulled pork with jackfruit, fish with banana blossom; or use King oyster mushrooms instead of scallops. I also make fish burgers with tofu. You just cut up a bit of tofu in the shape of a fish fillet, stick nori to one side of it, batter it and fry it. It tastes like fish because it’s got the seaweed in it.
“To complement it, make a gorgeous salad and a bulkier vegetable dish like miso on the pumpkin. To make that, slice the pumpkin into wedges and glaze it with a miso paste, some roasted sesame oil and a bit of maple syrup. Delicious.”
Get some tasty recipes on Flannerys Website
What are you going to make on World Vegan Day? Let us know.
Sign up for my newsletter
Stay current with all the things that are happening on Mummy to Twins Plus One. Don’t miss a thing by signing up for my newsletter. This newsletter will list all giveaways and fabulous things that are happening.