I love mango pudding and always order it when I have yum cha.
What is your favourite dessert to order? Hubby’s is Dofa fa (A soy bean/curd type soup).
Now I have made mango pudding he is asking for me to make Dofa fa. I am not sure, which really means NO, as I don’t really like Dofa fa at all and love mango pudding.
We are days away from Chinese New Year and to celebrate a feast is in order. Nothing finishes off a nice meal than a lovely pudding and if it is Mango Pudding it is even better. Especially when it tastes of such lovely sweet and tasty mangoes.
- 4 to 6 very ripe mangoes. I used 5. Peeled and diced, or 5 cups of frozen mango bits (make sure they are thawed before you start) If you can getting very fresh mangoes makes it even tastier.
- 395 grams of non fat sweetened condensed milk
- Half a cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- Gelatine Powder, 4 and half teaspoons -Use powder and you can see the reason why below
- Containers or bowls for the mixture to set in. If you wish to remove and serve on a plate for a party you can spray a little bit of oil so that the pudding comes out easily.
In my recipe I have it listed 2 envelopes of unflavoured gelatin or say 4 and half teaspoons. I purchase McKenzie’s Gelatine Leaves which are sheets of gelatine and therefore could not put it in a teaspoon as it was not a powder. I looked online and found that the McKenzie’s website had a recipe for pannacotta which would have a similar consistency as the mango pudding and it listed to use 6 sheets. I used 6 gelatine leaves and it came out very nice and firm, but I think if I used another 2, so 8 sheets in total it would have been very firm like the ones at yum cha. I should have used the powder and will so next time.
Gong Xi Fa Cai
1. I cut up my mangoes first and put all the flesh into a bowl and discarded the peel. I could not help myself but had to have a bit of some as I made this. The smell was overwhelming (the kitchen smelt devine!) and just reminded me of home, Queensland and being a kid. I love mangoes!
Make sure that you put the mangoes in a food processer and make them all smooth. I used a stick blender to zap the mangos and it worked a treat.
2. Once all the mangoes were sorted I tidied up my mess as mangoes seemed to go everywhere.
3. I added the lime juice to the mangoes
4. I got the gelatine sorted. If you have the gelatine leaves you need to soak them in half a cup of water to melt them a bit and then zap them in the microwave until they have melted. It is best to have them in bowl that can go in the microwave and make sure that after a minute of soaking that you only put the gelatine in the microwave for 10-20secs at a time. This will make sure that you are not boiling the mixture just melting the gelatine.
5. Add the condensed milk and then the gelatine to the mango mixture.
6. Add mixture to your containers and then put in the fridge for 2 hours to set. If you are making this for a party it might be best to do it the day before, this way you will ensure that the puddings are set and there is no need to worry.
Gong Hey Fat Choy
Recipes to celebrate Chinese New Year:
Entree – San Choy Bau
Main – Colourful Dumplings
Dessert – Mango Pudding
Some ways to get the kids involved this Chinese New Year
- Have the kids try their hand in writing Happy New Year in Chinese. The work sheet is from Topmarks Online Ltd
- Make a goat mobile from Topmarks Online Ltd. This is a great craft activity that will also help decorate the house for Chinese New Year.
I hope you have a great Chinese New Year Celebration on the 18th, and then on the 19th we welcome the new year. May the year of the Goat/Sheep be lucky and good for you all.