I used the ANZAC Biscuit recipe from the Wiki Cookbook – ANZAC Biscuits, however if you wish to do the more traditional method it is available from The Australian War Memorial Recipe for ANZAC Biscuits
- 2 cups plain (non-self raising) flour
- 1 cup white or brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup (cane syrup) or honey
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups rolled or instant oats
- 225 grams butter or margarine
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and melt the syrup and butter in a saucepan. Add the baking soda and water to the syrup mix.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients, adding water if necessary.
- Separate and roll the mixture into small balls, and flatten them on oven trays.
- Bake at 150°C (300°F) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
The finished biscuits are quite chewy and crisp, and have a long shelf-life.
Did you make ANZAC Biscuits? Were they yummy? Did you make heaps? I have a huge box of them and I think they will be treats in lunches for weeks to come.