School holidays are nearly here. Have your kids been bugging you to go away? Have you ever taken them camping before? (Read on for a fab giveaway… yes you will be amazed!) My girls want to go camping but we have not done it yet. They really wanted us to put the tent up in the backyard, although when they requested this it was winter and very cold. Living in the Blue Mountains we thought that it might be best to wait till summer and let the twins have the camping in the backyard experience.
We do plan to take them away with the whole family camping soon, but with baby number three due soon it does complicate things currently.
Camping is a great thing for kids to experience and also for adults alike. It allows time to reconnect with your family and to just chill. Away from the world and interruptions.
Check out my top 7 list of benefits kids can get from camping:
- Experience the outdoors. You are not stuck to digital devices and have to create your own fun outside. You can sit outside as a family and look at the stars, breathe the clean air and just be as a family. I know some kids will mourn the fact that they have no iPad or TV but after a while they will be so engaged in the fun of the outdoors and what adventures await them.
- Healthier Environment. Did you know that kids that have more experiences in nature are healthier, happier and do better with cognitive development. A report by UK’s Plymouth University found that if you take your kids camping even just once a year the children were happier, and better students. Also an article in the Sydney Morning Herald sees benefits with kids and the connection to nature. Allowing children to experience the outdoors helps them develop and impacts them into adulthood.
- Learn new skills. Building a fire, putting up a tent, collecting firewood, catching a fish, and collecting fresh water. These skills will help your kids be more confident and responsible (I can only hope about the responsible part)
- Cheap way to holiday with the family. Camping is not that expensive. You can pack your equipment in the car and all go to the location of your choice. It is something that is available for all and for that it is a great way to see some of the great parks and sights around Australia. I suppose this is not exactly a benefit for the kids but it does trickle down to them. If families can afford to go on more holidays this in turn benefits the children and gives them more opportunity to see new places within Australia and have great family adventures.
- Exercise in the great outdoors. Go bush walking, swimming or bike riding if you brought it with you. It is nice to be somewhere different and new to do a bit of exercise and also a bonus when the air is nice and fresh. The kids will love exploring new paths and hidden treasures that are along the way.
- See animal’s habitats up close. You might be lucky to spot a wombat, or say a kangaroo. Maybe a gecko. This is the perfect time to discuss the habitat of these animals and to learn more about them with your kids. It is always much better to see them up close and to have these experiences.
- Bake damper on the camp stove. I loved it when we made damper when I camped with my family. It is easy to do and your kids would love giving you a helping hand to create this tasty bread. You can add some butter or honey and it tastes amazing when still hot. This shows kids that you can create meals wherever you are and some very simply. Get them involved in cooking dinners and the meals if they can. You might need to supervise.
Make sure to pack the following for the kids:
- Cool clothes and warm clothes. Make sure that there are enough changes of clothes. You don’t want cold kids or kids that are too hot either. Also if they get wet/dirty you have a change ready to go
- Sun cream
- Swimmers if you are going somewhere that you can swim
- Give them things they can do to be helpful (many kids and if they are like mine love to be helpful. If you give them a job they won’t be bored and will be more engaged)
- Books and colouring in if they do get super bored and need a break. Although you can only take a few of these as you don’t have heaps of room when camping.
So how can I help you and the family get camping this summer? Well……. I have the perfect giveaway from Anaconda
One reader will win a Camp Stove worth $197.99
A bit about Anaconda
Anaconda is Australia’s first choice, one stop, outdoor, adventure and sporting store!
They have all things you need for camping: Tents, bags, backpacks, sleeping bags and more. If you are not into camping they have everything you need for fishing, boating, cycling, clothing, footwear, and toys for kids, and much more!
Anaconda prides itself that you will: Play More, Pay Less at Anaconda
You can purchase online and have it all posted to you or you have the choice to visit a physical store and browse the great deals.
Check out Anaconda’s latest deals here.
How do you win this amazing prize?
All you need to do is to fill out the Rafflecopter form below and leave a blog comment on this post answering this question:
“Why do you and the family want to go camping this summer?”
Remember no blog comment no entry! So make sure to leave a comment.
NOTE: If you are the lucky winner, you have 72 hours to respond to the email notifying you of your win. If I don’t hear from you I will redraw the winner.
When does the Giveaway end?
The giveaway ends midnight 28th of December 2015. This way you have plenty of time to enter over the break and also plenty of time to enjoy your prize when you go camping.
Open to Australian residents only as Anaconda is posting the prize to the lucky winner.
Good Luck everyone.
Important: Once I announce the winner via email if you could get back to me within 72 hours. I know it will be holiday time but if I don’t hear from you I will redraw the giveaway.
A big thanks to Anaconda for supplying my readers such an amazing prize.